Updating the Modem Firmware
Last updated on: December 14, 2019
- Download the new modem firmware version from here: https://www.nordicsemi.com/Software-and-Tools/Development-Kits/nRF9160-DK/Download#infotabs
- Download nRF Connect for Desktop application from here: https://www.nordicsemi.com/Software-and-Tools/Development-Tools/nRF-Connect-for-desktop/Download#infotabs
- Connect the Icarus board to the nRF9160-DK using the TagConnect
- Power the Icarus board (USB, battery or VIN)
- Make sure the voltage switch on the nRF9160-DK is set to 3V
Note: It is advised to switch the button on your nRF9160-DK to nRF52 instead of the nRF91 to make sure you get an error if something goes wrong and the modem firmware does not silently go to the modem on the nRF9160-DK.
Start the nRF Connect for Desktop application and launch the "Programmer" module
Click the "Select device" on the top left side of the application and select the nRF9160-DK
Click the "Update modem" button on the bottom right side of the application and select the firmware file you downloaded
Click "Write" on the window that opens to start the firmware update process
After about 50 seconds the new modem firmware will be fully written.
If you wish to update the modem firmware of the nRF9160-DK modem, disconnect the Icarus board, switch the button on the nRF9160-DK to nRF91 and follow the same steps