Last updated on: April 18, 2022
Icarus SoM (nRF9160)
The Icarus SoM (System on Module) is a ready solution that provides cutting edge low-power cellular IoT connectivity in module form. It is meant to be integrated into other electronics designs and can be powered using a 3.3 V regulator or directly through a LiPo battery. The module includes global LTE-M & NB-IoT connectivity, GPS, low-power 3-axis accelerometer, and a SIM switching circuit that allows the user to choose between the onboard eSIM or an externally connected SIM. All of this in a 18.5 x 28.0 mm package with castellated pins.
What's in the box
Your Icarus SoM board comes pre-programmed with the following:
- The latest (at the time of production) modem firmware from Nordic. The modem inside the nRF9160 contains a host processor that takes care of the cellular communication (if you want to update your modem firmware, check out this guide).
- The MCUboot bootloader: A secure bootloader for 32-bit microcontrollers which provides you with the option to upload firmware to the Icarus using the USB-port and the Actinius Programmer application. MCUBoot is used in combination with the Zephyr RTOS on the nRF9160. It also Over-The-Air (OTA) updates.
- The Serial LTE Modem Application Firmware from Nordic Semiconductor. See the nRF9160 Serial LTE modem github page and its application description for more information.
- Certificates that make it possible to register your board on our online IoT Platform actinius.io.
- Register for an account at actinius.io. Here you can register and manage your Icarus Bee and eSIM, as well as receive data from firmware such as the Actinius Asset Tracker.
- Use the Actinius Programmer application to upload ready-to-use, pre-built firmware applications and samples.
- Follow the Getting started guide for setting up the toolchain(s) and development environment on your computer.
- Check-out the Icarus samples and tweak some code, such as the GPS Sample
- See the Board files page to download the latest board files for your board and nRF Connect SDK version.